Subject: Re: Strange boot message
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/20/2003 22:26:44
>> >I have a newly installed i386 (Celeron) box. Just after the kernel has
>> >loaded (when the text on the screen turns from green to white) the system
>> >types "B: not found" on the screen. At system shutdown serveral lines with
>> >the same text are printed. Does anyone know what's wrong?
>
>You need to install a second floppy drive. :-)

you're so funny.  ;-P

>> a stray B can occur by accident if
>> you're using vi to edit something and the escape character portion of
>> the down arrow key arrives some interval before the other two
>> characters.  i don't really know why this happens (all the characters
>> should arrive at the same time afaict), but it does.  and it annoys
>> me.
>
>Slow serial line? No, more likely a laggy network connection. Anyway, in
>your .exrc you can :set escapetime to something higher than 1/10 of a
>second if you like, to fix that problem. Try a value between 3 and 6.

if it was a slow serial line, i could accept that.  mostly it's not.
thought it's not uncommon for me to use serial console connections,
it's far from the norm.  laggy network also sounds reasonable, except
until you consider that when i press the up arrow, all three
characters are sent *at once*.  i just don't get it.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."