Subject: Re: Having 2 NetBSD In The Same Disk
To: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/2003 22:29:57
> If you want seperate userlands, do as above but hardware the root to
> something else in the -current config file with a line like:
>
> config	netbsd	root on sd0e type ffs
>
> This means that the kernel doesn't live on the "root" for -current, but
> both should be bootable.

It is somewhat easier to put the kernel into its own root filesystem,
then (say) 'boot hd0h:netbsd' will boot the requested kernel from
the specified netbsd partition and make that partition the root
partition.  This doesn't need a specially built kernel.

(There is currently no way to boot a kernel from one partition
and pass it a different partition as the root filesystem (the
kernel can, however, ignore the partition that is passed in).)

OTOH getting the bootselector to do it is less typing (and I
have had it working, but I'm trying to remove the 64k limit
for code, data and stack for the i386 biosboot.sym code).

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk