Subject: Re: Having 2 NetBSD In The Same Disk
To: Gordon Zaft <gordonzaft@yahoo.com>
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/2003 11:49:58
On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:20:01AM -0800, Gordon Zaft wrote:

>  I want to do this too, so please be sure to share
> with the list!
>
> > Is it possible?
> >
> > I'm trying to install 2 (two) NetBSD in the same disk, so I want
> > choose one of then with bootmanager. This is because I want to play
> > with -current, but I don't want to lose all data if I make a
> > mistake.
> >
> > So, I have on NetBSD partition and his labels, and I made another
> > NetBSD partition with your labels too and installed the second
> > NetBSD on it. The bootmanager was installed with no problem too.
> >
> > But at the boot time, I have:
> >
> > F1: NetBSD
> > F2: -current
> >
> > The F2 doesn't boot. It's something like, if I type F2, bootmanager
> > stops, and F1 doesn't boot too. To boot F1, I must reset the machine
> > and  type F1 first (as I said, if I type F2 first, bootmanager
> > stops).

If you want to try out different kernels and don't care so much about
different userlands, then you can put two kernels on the root parition
and select from the boot loader rather than the boot manager.  That is,
you have /netbsd and /netbsd-current installed on wd0a. When the boot
loader is doing the five-second countdown, interrupt it, and choose
which kernel you wish to boot.

If you want seperate userlands, do as above but hardware the root to
something else in the -current config file with a line like:

config	netbsd	root on sd0e type ffs

This means that the kernel doesn't live on the "root" for -current, but
both should be bootable.

jf
--
John Franklin