Subject: Re: Install program crashes
To: Fredrik Axelsson <faxen@bigfoot.com>
From: Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/06/2003 23:31:36
--=.KOUNj)6mb,Tn'z

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 23:21:21 +0100
"Fredrik Axelsson" <faxen@bigfoot.com> wrote:

Hi,

> I have a strange problem with the installation program for NetBSD 1.6
> (CD-ROM from downloaded ISO). If I use the installation program
> default values everything works great (full with X, use all disc). But
> if I change the partitions the installtion crashes (segmentation
> fault) while copying the files (seems to be at man.tgz).

I had that happen to me twice (once for my laptop, another time on a
server)

> What am I doing wrong???

Nothing, sometimes the installer segfaults when unpacking the sets, I'm
not sure why. The solution is quite simple, reboot the box, you'll drop
into single user mode because rc_configured is still set to NO in
/etc/rc.conf. Mount / as read/write (mount -u /), then mount the rest of
the partitions as well (run fsck first if needed), and maybe you need to
edit your /etc/fstab although I think it was already configured. You'll
find the unpacked sets in /usr/install or a similar directory, sorry
don't remember the exact path, but it's under /usr, find might help
there, go to / and do: for i in usr/install/*.tgz;do tar xzvf $i;done

That will unpack all the sets. Now you can vi /etc/rc.conf and change
rc_configured from NO to YES. Then you probably want to configure the
network and the console. An example of how it will look after you're
done:
----
rc_configured=YES

# Add local overrides below
#
wscons=YES
hostname="energyhq.homeip.net"
sshd=YES

----

To configure the network devices you create a file in /etc with the name
of the interface, example:

energyhq: {275} cat ifconfig.ex0
192.168.0.4 netmask 0xffffff00 media autoselect

I think that's the basic stuff, then you should be able to reboot again,
and this time boot into multiuser. Because this happened to me quite
some months ago, maybe something's missing, others feel free to correct/add.

Cheers,
--
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net
        GPG Public Key :: http://energyhq.homeip.net/files/pubkey.txt