Subject: apm: no battery charge state and status
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2003 08:50:05
G'day,

apm reports the following status on a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop
running NetBSD-1.6:

husky% apm
Battery charge state: unknown (absent?)
Battery remaining: 0 percent (0 minutes)
A/C adapter state: connected
Power management enabled
Number of batteries: 2

The "Battery charge state" and "Battery remaining" reports are
static, e.g. they never change. However, it detects whether or not
the laptop is powered via mains or battery.

Have I been missing something during the configuration or is this
simply lacking support for this particular hardware?

What is required in order to get this to work? Change of BIOS settings?
Is there any documentation around that may help me to write additional
code should this be required? Does this work on other hardware?

With many thanks in advance,

cheerio Berndt