Subject: hangs on boot (i845GE chipset)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Shunji KUBOTA <shundi@k6.dion.ne.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/04/2003 14:16:43
Hi.

Recently I got i845GE chipset motherboard, but NetBSD-current
hangs on boot. By using ddb, I find that the kernel stops at
pci_conf_write() in the following lines:

sys/dev/pci/agp_intel.c:agp_intel_attach()
	reg = pci_conf_read(sc->as_pc, sc->as_tag, AGP_INTEL_STS);
	reg &= ~0x00ff0000;
	reg |= (7 << 16);
	pci_conf_write(sc->as_pc, sc->as_tag, AGP_INTEL_STS, reg);

The kernel boots normally if these lines are commented out.

I see that agp_intel_attach() is based on FreeBSD code.
Despite FreeBSD code has switch statement for each chipset
(i820/i840/i845/i850/i860) support, NetBSD code doesn't.
It's acceptable if the current code is a generic one, but
I don't think it's generic since the kernel hangs on boot.
Is there any reason for not having codes for each chipset?

Thanks in advance.
--
   Shunji KUBOTA        shundi@k6.dion.ne.jp