Subject: Re: Intel i845G on-board graphics
To: Steve Woodford <scw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/2002 11:52:53
On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 Steve Woodford <scw@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Shingo WATANABE wrote:
>
> > The patch for i830/845G agp driver is attached in this mail.
>
> I have just committed the patch into the NetBSD tree, with some minor
> cleanup.
>
> For your information, using bleeding-edge XFree86 (instead of NetBSD's
> xsrc), this driver works fine on the i830MG in my Omnibook.

And I can report (thanks to some extra advice from Steve) that it also works on
my Dell C400 laptop.  I'd previously tried a different NetBSD patch sent to me
(checked out from their respository some time around the beginning of November
with tag "xf-4_2_99_2") and it hadn't worked.

This time I used a current kernel incorporating Shingo WATANABE's patches as
committed by Steve and XFree86 sources from the XFree86 CVS head (still
identified by xdpyinfo as 4.2.99.2, but which, at least according to David
Dawes in http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/845driver.html, has had signifcant work
on the i830/840 since the beginning of November).

So far it seems to be working well at 1024x768x24.  A couple of times the
server has crashed with some kind of "lockup" error logged in the XFree86 log
file.  But I think those have always been times when I've terminated the server
and restarted it without rebooting the system and since that isn't something I
would typically do I'm not too worried about it.  If I can figure out a pattern
to it I'll report it to the XFree86 folks though.

I've also been unable to get kdm logins working.  The server starts and puts up
the kdm login screen, but after I enter username and password the server dies.
In contrast starting from a text console and typing "startx" (with .xinitrc
linked to my .xsession brings a kde session up perfectly.  Oh well, something
to explore for tonight...

Duncan