Subject: Re: Idiots guide to serial ports.
To: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/17/2002 17:00:29
# On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Ceri Storey wrote:
#
# > Hi, I'm attempting to setup a serial console on an old machine, but I
# > can't figure out where I'm going wrong. I've got the following in
# > /etc/ttys:
# > tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on secure rtscts
# > tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on secure rtscts

One more question:  is this a serial console, or just another serial port?
i.e. are you really running headless?

If so, then the console entry should, more or less, suffice, although
you will likely want to have the "local" entry anyway...

# >
# > The problem being that the gettys get stuck in 'ttyopn', and never seem
# > to come out of it.
# >
# > I'm fairly sure the hardware side of things is fine, scince the two
# > sides can communicate using 'cu -l /dev/dty0x'.
# >
# > Any input would be apprechiated.
# > --
# > Ceri Storey <cez@compsoc.man.ac.uk>