Subject: Re: pciide question: wd0 as wd2 (Promise Ultra100)
To: Teemu Rinta-aho <teemu@rinta-aho.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/2002 22:50:51
On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 11:25:57PM +0200, Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > No, the problem is most likely that the probe succeeds on 2 disks
> > before it probes the promise.
> > If there's nothing connected to the VIA, maybe you should just disable
> > it in BIOS ?
>
> There is, a cd-rom drive, at pciide0:0:0.
>
> More details:
>
> when the problem occurs, there are no wd0 or wd1 detected, only

wd0 and wd1 *are* detected, otherwise the real drive woudln't end on wd2

> wd2, and it is at pciide1:0:0, just like wd0 is supposed to be.
> Then a few seconds later, the kernel tries to read from wd0d
> which it thinks is at pciide0:1:0.

OK, so it finds 2 gost drives on the second channel of the VIA ide controller.
Do you have a way to disable it in BIOS ?

> I have no idea what's going on. Maybe I'll just have to buy a new
> computer. Do you know a good chipset?

You can hardwire wd0 to pciide1 channel 0 in the kernel config file.
This means you'll have to create 2 entries, pciide0 and pciide1 in the
config file, instead of pciide*

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>