Subject: Re: extending a ccd partition
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/14/2002 09:46:05
> Maybe it's a silly question, but is it possible to add one or more
> disks to a ccd partition without damaging its existing files?

Yes it is.

> I guess, if it's possible at all, it would only be so for partitions
> which have been concatenated with no striping?

No; it's just _easy_ only for ccds which are concatenated rather than
striped.

For a striped ccd, you'd need to work out what blocks need to go where
to preserve the virtual disk's contents, and move them.  I don't know
of any extant tool which does that, but you said "possible", and it's
certainly possible to build one.

> By the way, I seem to remember Jason mentioning somewhere in the mail
> archives that there are no benifits to be gained by striping IDE
> disks, yes?

I can't speak either way to this; I don't remember Jason saying that,
but am not at all sure I would have remembered.

Depending on the hardware in use and how the disks are connected, I
wouldn't expect it to be always true, though of course that is speaking
as someone who doesn't actually know.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign