Subject: bktr driver
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/11/2002 11:22:56
Hello,

I recently posted this on comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc to no avail. Please
let me know if there is a better place to send this.

I'm interested in building a NetBSD appliance centered around
Television/Video/Audio Capture and playback.

A veritable entertainment-center-in-a-box appliance similar to Tivo or
something, if you will.

Does anyone have recent information on the status of the bktr driver?
All the information I've found has been untouched since 2000 (which
could be a good thing, a sign of stability??).

I'm also looking at what hardware to buy. It seems that amongst the
Hauppauge cards there are some that have hardware mpeg encoders and some
that don't. It will be necessary for my project to be able to capture
audio/video.

Supposedly the fxtv package does capture mpeg video and allow "pausing"
of TV, but does this occur outside of the pci hardware or does this
require a "video capture" device?

Somehow I suspect (because of the aged bktr driver) that some of the
cooler features (pause TV, hardware-based mpeg2 encoding, remote control
and others) are not yet implemented.

What's the best way to find out the status of this project and would
anyone be interested in helping me develop this driver for this purpose?

Any help would be fantastic,

Thanks,

Louis