Subject: Odd HPT370A bug?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/11/2002 05:12:53
I'm curious about whether the HPT370/HPT370A support in the pciide
driver was actually ever tested on an HPT370A.  When I put such a
card in my friend Walt's machine, it appears to find the pciide
and both channels fine -- if there are no devices on them.  If either
channel has a device, it locks up hard with that device's "busy" light
on (I dug up some IDE disks with actual activity LEDs to test with)
and the system gets no further in the boot process.  I waited 5
minutes, but then I gave up and hit the reset switch

I suspected a mode timing issue, so I reduced the UDMA mode to 2 (from
5) with the flags on the wd devices in the kernel config file.  No
change.

I had to put Walt's machine back together, so I wasn't able to try
disabling UDMA entirely, unfortunately.  Is anyone having any luck
using a device that actually probes as a HPT370-A (not just a HPT370)
with the pciide driver in 1.6?