Subject: Re: Netgear gigabit GA621 fibre interface problems
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/10/2002 16:15:57
On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Daniel Carosone wrote:

# > I
# > just know that from my 10baseT and 100baseT experience it's best to
# > hard-code both ends of permanent links, and if you hard-code one, you
# > MUST hard code the other.
# >
# > I don't know what the hell the designers of the autonegotiation
# > protocol were on when they designed it...
#
# Well, the point is that you either hard-wire, or you negotiate. If
# you hardware, you disable negotiation, and therefore need to do it
# on both ends.

I must concur with Michael Graff on this one.  What were they on?

It seems to me that if one end is stating "I AM HUNDRED BASE TX FULL
DUPLEX, PERIOD" the other end should simply say, "'kay, I can live with
that, hm...let's see here...*click* I AM HUNDRED BASE TX FULL DUPLEX, TOO!"

# Dan.

				--*greywolf;
--
Of course it runs NetBSD.