Subject: Odd performance issue with 'su'
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/09/2002 17:06:02
Running a mix of about 30 server, most of which have been upgraded to 1.6.

I have an odd one for everyone.

I'm running a large group of servers using an homemade IP 'SAN' built on a
3COM hub and a bunch of machines talking to a 'backend' NFS server over
dedicated network connections.  The front-end connections are regular
TCP-IP connections, and the back-end (SAN) connections are all 192.168.x.x
addresses.

On a couple of the machines, for no reason that I can fathom, the 'su'
command takes up to 90 seconds to respond with a 'password:' response.
Specifically, it happens most often on the primary mail server in the mail
cluster, but on other machines as well.  The problem comes and goes, but
is definitely worse since I started the 1.6 upgrade.

I thought about nameserver response time, but I don't see what 'su' would
need with a host name.  I've also started trying to set up a kerberos
server, but I would expect that to be a problem on all of the machines
that I've started the Kerberos upgrade on, nit just a couple.  Has anyone
got any good suggestions for what I might want to look at?

--
Dave Burgess
CTO, Nebraska On-Ramp