Subject: nVidia binary drivers
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd-port-i386@quatriemek.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/2002 21:33:06
Hi all,

Three weeks ago, nVidia released binary drivers for FreeBSD.

About one hour ago, I finally obtained XFree86 default screen on my
NetBSD-current system with a Riva TNT2 PCI card.

That means the kernel part of the driver can work. However, the XFree86
module (which is entirely binary) can't obtain a shared memory id, thus I
can't draw anything on the display. It's possible some parts of my XFree86
build are too old, or the issue is related to a bad NetBSD/FreeBSD
interaction. Either way, I finally got that damn screen :o)

Before anything else, I will contact nVidia about the legal issues, and
since I can't see how my work could hurt them, I'm pretty optimistic about
their answer. Until then, I cannot make my code public unfortunately.

For the notice, I'm pretty sure it is not possible to make it available as
a LKM with the same XFree86 driver, since it uses FreeBSD's
MEMRANGE_{G,S}ET ioctls on /dev/mem, so they must be implemented in the
kernel.

In case there the port of the drivers is found interesting, I'll keep the
list updated.

Thanks to Manuel Bouyer for some precious advises.

cube

--
That's how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything
for the swim back.