Subject: Re: PS/2 mice.
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/2002 11:37:29
On Fri 29 Nov 2002 at 01:54:30 -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> Do you connect them before you boot, or after?  I don't know if it puts
> undue wear and tear on the circuits to plug and unplug PS/2 stuff while
> the computer is on, but I don't think that they will be detected unless
> they are plugged in when the OS is booting and probing for devices.  I
> don't think that NetBSD even sees the *port* if there's nothing plugged in
> during device-probe.

At least the mouse I have plugged in before boot, but with a keyboard I
am not so sure. I will try that again to make sure. In any case, it
looks like some hardware magic is necessary since NetBSD always already
detects a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse - the extra one would need to be
merged with the built-in one (or replace it perhaps).

> I am pretty sure that this Just Works with at least one laptop I've tried.
> (Under NetBSD.)
>
> And, although my basis for this isn't very strong, I think that if you
> have just one PS/2 connector, I'd start by assuming that it's a keyboard
> connector rather than a mouse connector.  (Prior to USB, about the only

This makes sense. I'll try a serial mouse, if I have one. That's
probably just a matter of configuring X to use it.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@       -- Woe betide the one who feels
\X/ polderland.nl  -- remorse without sin - Tom Poes, "Het boze oog", 4444.