Subject: Re: Etherboot - kernel page fault trap
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Michael Blake <mblake@headbyte.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/27/2002 10:50:09
> > I'm setting up a diskless client, using a NE2000 clone, etherboot, an=
> > NFS.
> >
> > I've created the ROM, and put it on a floppy, with ELF, FreeBSD, Free=
BSD
> > kernel env, tagged image, and NFS support.
> >
> > If finds the NIC, finds the IP address, finds the kernel, and begins =
> > load it, but just as it starts I get the following message:
> >
> > kernel: page fault trap, code=3D0
> > Stopped in pid 0 () at 0xc0257e55: =09movl =09=09%eax, =090(%edx)
> > db>
> >
> > I know nothing about debugging a kernel, so if anyone could tell me w=
here
> > to get started, I'd be VERY grateful!
> >
> > BTW I've tried the same setup with a different client, and have the s=
ame
> > problem. I haven't tried a FreeBSD kernel yet.
>
> when i tried that (with 1.5.1 kernel) it just hung after loading image.
> FreeBSD loads fine

Thanks for the info - I also got the FreeBSD kernel to boot. I've re-read=
 the=20
diskless howto, and am now trying to compile the GRUB bootloader to inclu=
de=20
diskless support. Pity the package version doesn't have diskless support=20
compiled into it.

Almost there - just have to get an EPROM programmer, and then the sky's t=
he=20
limit!

Regards,
Michael.