Subject: Re: EISA problems under 1.6
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/24/2002 18:46:44
In article <20021124040303.6574a3ba.christianbiere@gmx.de>
christianbiere@gmx.de wrote:

> "Dr R.S. Brooks" <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I recently got a Compaq Proliant 1500 (2 x Pentium 133, 160MB, PCI/EISA
> > MB) on eBay, and started installing NetBSD 1.6 on it.
> > The 1.6 INSTALL kernel only sees 16MB of RAM, but I was able to install
> > and boot the GENERIC kernel and the system seemed to be stable.  So I
> > decided to build a kernel with REALEXTMEM=163452
>
> man options(4) says:
>
> options REALEXTMEM=integer
>   Overrides the extended memory size passed in from the boot block.
>   (Value given in kilobytes.  Extended memory does not include the
>    first megabyte.)
>
> $ bc
> 159*1024
> 162816
>
> Does this help?

Yes, and the value should be taken from "extended memory size"
shown by the Compaq diagnostic.

Some Compaq machines reports three extended memory values
(under 1M, under 1-16M and others), and it might cause the problem.
The real solution is to fix bootloader to get correct
memory size even on such machines.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp