Subject: Serial login problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy Doolin <jdoolin@1st.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/22/2002 09:49:55
I've been trying to get a serial console on my NetBSD box (a Pentium).

I have a null modem cable running from com1  (/dev/tty01) on the NetBSD
box to com0 on my Linux box.

I changed /etc/ttys on the NetBSD box to contain this line:

/dev/tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"    vt220  on   secure

I did  "kill -s HUP 1" to make init reread /etc/ttys and 'ps' verifed
that getty was running on tty01.

On my Linux box, I ran minicom.  I set the speed to 9600 and parity,
etc to 8N1 with no flow control.  I initialize the modem and all I get
is this:

AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0

Which appears to be a modem string.

I've tried playing with the argument to getty (using "Console" and
"Pc"), the terminal types (ansi, vt100, vt102, vt220, unknown) on both
ends (minicom appears to use ansi or vt102), and parity, etc to 7E1,
all with exactly the same result of displaying that modem string.  In
fact, if I try 7E1, I can't even type characters, where I can with 8N1.
  And I did make sure to kill -s HUP 1 every time I changed /etc/ttys,
and made sure to kill the current getty process on tty01 so that it
would start the new one.

Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Jeremy Doolin