Subject: Re: openoffice & linux
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Video Mike <mike@cpdist.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/21/2002 04:30:01
Dear NetBSD,

I installed OpenOffice obtained from the 1.6 packages and it
works pretty well, but, beware.  I found that when you first
create a document of any kind (I think any kind), that
OpenOffice just hangs. I discovered that if you simply use
"touch" to create the new file first, for example:

     #touch budget.xls

you will then be able to save any new work created with
OpenOffice to that same file created with touch.  Looks like a
serious file creation (fopen) bug in the C code somewhere.
If you can swallow some of these bugs (sorry, no chocolate
coating), then you will be able to use OpenOffice reliably.
While using OpenOffice I am able to run GQMpeg, and have
Gimp, K-mail, and Konquerer open at the same time while
switching back and forth between windows.  I am running a
650MHz AMD Duron CPU and have 256MB of system memory
on a Gigabyte motherboard.  wd0b is a 1GB partition which
probably is overkill.  If anyone would like any details on how
I installed it then please feel free to contact me.

--Video Mike--

=3D=3D=3DWindows: The cockroach of operating systems=3D=3D=3D