Subject: USB umass devices which fail normally, but work in a USB_DEBUG/DDB kernel
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/20/2002 07:17:43
I have an Archos MP3 player, using the ISD-200 USB-ATA bridge.

When I put this into my NetBSD-current box, it failed with a mass
of BBB failures. Scanning mailing lists, I see this as a very common failure
in NetBSD with random CF devices and other things emulating scsi disks.

When I don't get BBB failures, I get I/O errors on the mount request even
if I do see a disklabel.

On the advice of the rockbox Archos hackers, I added USB debugging, and I
found that my kernel now recognized the device.

Does this help identify umass_quirks or scsi_quirks which relate to
time-critical behaviour? I posit/hypothicate that the kernel debug printfs
slow something down enough to make USB happier.

the device is USB2.0, the PC is a Dell L400, USB1.0 only.

cheers

-George