Subject: vmware problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/16/2002 12:15:39
I'm having problems trying to run vmware (via pkgsrc).  The minor things
are that vmnet1 doesn't seem to be configured properly at boot time via
the rc.d file, although running '/etc/rc.d/vmnetif start' manually
works; also, the first time I try to power on the virtual machine in a
session, it says 'XFfree86 direct graphics (DGA extensin) power on
failed.  Module 27 power on failed.'  If I click 'power on' again, it
says 'Failed to get a free virtual terminal: no such device or address.
Unable to allocate virtual terminal for full-screen VGA.  Full-screen
VGA will not be available.'  I can live with that, even though I don't
know why it happens.  But then it says 'The virtual machine is unable
to reserve memory'.

My reach machine has 256M (there's some hardware problem trying to
install more RAM; that's a separate issue), and the virtual machine is
configured for 96M.  I'm running as root with the following:

# ulimit -a
time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
data(kbytes)         500000
stack(kbytes)        8192
lockedmem(kbytes)    200000
memory(kbytes)       512000
nofiles(descriptors) 64
processes            160
# TMPDIR=/usr/tmp vmware ~/vmware/windows/*.cfg

Suggestions welcome.

		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)