Subject: Re: Incompatible modem?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, m.toupin@myrealbox.com>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@localhost.invisible.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/15/2002 19:20:08
> On my old 486, I have a old 33,6k modem. When I boot, I see this:
> isapnp0: <33600 bps Fax Modem            , GVC000F, , > port 0x3e8/8 irq
> 5 not configured
> I guess that's because it's not supported in NetBSD. AFAIK it's a
> standard modem (it's not a winmodem). On google, searching for GVC00F
> just brings strange source code, but on the PCB it writes F-1128HV/T1,
> witch looks like a model number from GVC. They have a website at gvc.ca
> , but they don't list this model on their site.
>
> I guess the problem it just that it's not supported in the kernel, but
> maybe i did something wrong.

If you have the kernel source handy, you could try it out:

1. Edit sys/dev/isapnp/isapnpdevs, and add an entry for it:
  devlogic        com      GVC000F     0     GVC 33600 bps Fax Modem
2. In sys/dev/isapnp, run 'make -f Makefile.isapnpdevs'
3. Rebuild your kernel with the 'com at isapnp' driver.
4. Cross your fingers:) The device should attach.

Cheers,
Jared