Subject: can newfs do a surface scan or otherwise id bad disk blocks reported on a previous Win32 partition?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/12/2002 19:25:05
Greetings:

I have a 20GB laptop drive that is currently formated with Win32.
Unfortunately, this drive has a couple of bad blocks in the middle
of the disk, and these bad blocks are marked "BAD" in Win32.  Other
than the bad blocks, the disk runs fine, since Win32 avoids using
these marked bad blocks.

I wish to reformat this disk with NetBSD's netive filesystem.
However, I was wondering if it was possible to have newfs avoid
using these bad blocks.  Can newfs do a disk surface scan or other-
wise try to identify the bad disk blocks that were previously
identified in Win32?  I hope to have the NetBSD filesystem also
avoid the bad disk blocks in the same way that Win32 does.

Thank you in advance.
Alicia.