Subject: Re: Powerdown not working
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/04/2002 15:07:44
In message <Pine.NEB.4.44.0211041008190.21471-100000@lothlorien.starwolf.com>,
you write:

-> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
->
-> # In message <3DC6B1BE.311F3E13@lmco.com>, Daniel Herman writes:
-> # >
-> # >   I am running NetBSD 1.6 on an IBM Aptiva 2158-240 (K6-2 CPU).  When I
-> # >perform a 'shutdown -p now' the machine will only halt, not powerdown.
-> # >This is an ATX motherboard which does powerdown under Windows.  Does
-> # >anyone have any suggestions?
-> #
-> # You need to have apm (or maybe acpi) in your kernel, I believe.
->
-> Question:  will acpi work on MP?  I know apm doesn't.

Yes; APM as designed pretty much *can't* work on MP systems; ACPI fixes
these design issues and so should work on SMP systems (modulo bugs or
shortcomings in our ACPI support, which is far from complete).

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill