Subject: Re: NetBSD on Supermicro 6012P-6B?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/30/2002 11:13:36
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 09:51:35AM +0100, Christoph Kaegi wrote:

> Once again we are going to buy hardware, where
> I want to run NetBSD on.
> We are looking into a Supermicro 1U System
> named 6012P-6B (Transtec 1001L).
>
> It is built from the following:
>
> - Intel E7500 "Plumas" chipset
> - Intel 2.4GHz Xeon with 512KB Cache
> - ICH3 IO Controller Hub
> - P64H2 PCI-X Hub
> - AIC-7899W SCSI
> - Intel 82550 Ethernet (1x10/100 + 1x10/100/1000)

[...]
> Would NetBSD run on such a system?

Yep, it'll work. If you had multiple CPUs, you'd need an MP kernel.
If you want to use the HyperThreading (virtual CPU) stuff in the CPU,
then you're likely to need an MP kernel as well (i.e. -current). But,
I don't know if the BIOS builds an MP info table with only one CPU present
(the MP code currently relies on that table).

Anyway, 1.6 should run fine on it. I have seen reports of the
ahc driver having a fit when no devices are attached to it,
if that's the case you may have to build a kernel with the
ahc driver removed.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                    fvdl@wasabisystems.com