Subject: Re: GRUB, NTFS, and NetBSD
To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2002 19:08:24
In message <20021003143335.V3343@dr-evil.shagadelic.org>, Jason writes:

-> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 05:16:23PM -0400, Steven Grunza wrote:
->
->  > Has anyone installed GRUB on a system like this before?  I don't know a l
-> ot
->  > about Win2000 / NT booting but my guess is that the Win2K boot code is
->  > sitting at the beginning of the disk and if I load GRUB I will over-write
->
->  > this boot code.  Since GRUB doesn't understand NTFS and would need to
->  > chainload Win2K I'm expecting the disk to be fubar'd if I try this since
->  > the Win2K boot loader will have been over-written by GRUB.
->  >
->  > Any ideas how I can get this system to boot to either Win2K or NetBSD
->  > without using a floppy?
->
-> Why use GRUB when you can use the NetBSD "mbr_bootsel"?  I currently use
-> this to dual boot one of my PCs with NetBSD and Win2k (Win2k using NTFS).

Or, if you fear/don't wish to overwrite the original boot block on the disk,
you can add NetBSD as an item in the Win2k boot menu... See the NetBSD/i386
FAQ at:

	http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/faq.html#nt_boot

I do this on my work ThinkPad T20, since I find myself needing to use
Win2k quite a bit and did not want to muck with the boot sector (or a
separate boot floppy, since I almost never have the floppy drive at hand)
to get NetBSD installed and bootable.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill