Subject: Re: serial consoles and BIOS console redirection
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/19/2002 15:29:56
Christos Zoulas writes:
- In article <200209191953.g8JJrq824441@egsner.cirr.com>,
- Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com> wrote:
- >	I'm trying to understand why NetBSD chooses COM2: as the
- >console any time I attempt to turn on the BIOS ``console
- >redirection'', and set it at COM1:
-
- Because the console re-direction steals the com1 port so that
- the OS does not see it anymore.

	But, as I just told Herb, NetBSD sees both the serial
ports once it's booted.  It correctly identifies `com1' as the
console, but also sees `com0'.

- >	Is there any way to convince everything to share the
- >same console port?  I hate the idea of having to use two
- >terminal server ports to manage one box.
-
- Turn console redirection off in the bios and and use the biosboot-com0
- boot blocks.

	``But FreeBSD can do it!''.

	Stupid PC hardware.  If I didn't need to have an
intel based box around, I'd scrap them all!

	Maybe it's time for me to dig into the boot process
on the intel boxes.. (ugh!)

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
	I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs