Subject: SUMMARY: Strange behaviour of NetBSD partitions
To: port i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Uwe Lienig <Uwe.Lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/04/2002 09:46:53
Thanks to the list, esp. to Manuel Bouyer and Thilo, that gave me the answer to
my question.

The problem was, that I didn't understand the special drive mapping in i386. I
had not realized, that in i386 the DOS partitions are not of interest to NetBSD
despite the slice dedicated to NetBSD. The special mapping are:

NetBSD    | purpose
partition |
----------+-------------------------
c         | maps the whole slice dedicated to NetBSD (i.e of type 169)
d         | maps the whole disk

Thats why changing the d partition in my first attempt yielded to the result
that the a partiton was overwritten by the d partition.

Now I'm using (NetBSD) partition a b e ! And, as expected - it works great.

Thanks again.

--
Uwe Lienig  | fon: (+49 351) 462 2780 | mailto:uwe.lienig@fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
            | fax: (+49 351) 462 3476 | http://www.fif.mw.htw-dresden.de
HTW Dresden | parcels: Gutzkowstr. 22 | letters: PF 12 07 01
   -FiF-    |          01069 Dresden  |          01008 Dresden