Subject: Re: CD drive media event
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/2002 11:44:56
--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 07:37:16PM -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 @ 2:27pm (+0200), Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
>=20
> IS> Hello,
> IS>
> IS> On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 02:34:37AM -0700, Girish Wadhwani wrote:
> IS>
> IS> > Is there any mechanism for a process to be notified
> IS> > when media is inserted into a cd drive on NetBSD?
> IS> > Ideally, I would like to have a deamon sleeping and
> IS> > when media is insert, the kernel would notify the
> IS> > process. The other option would be for the process to
>=20
> ...you mean vold or automountd from some commercial unix's?

err, vold. Automountd is sort of the reverse function - try to mount a known
volume when it is accessed, while vold tries to mount whatever is inserted
into a changable media drive, shortly after it is inserted.

AmigaOS also has something like what you propose, and - with the exception
of the floppy drive where there is a disk change write going from the=20
drive to the electronics, triggering an interupt to the CPU - the
what-AmigaOS-calls-drivers poll e.g. the CD-ROM at e.g. 10-second
intervals to see if the media has changed.

Regards,
	Ignatios

--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9

--24zk1gE8NUlDmwG9--