Subject: Re: gcc on x86 - any cool gimmicks?
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/08/2002 10:50:54
On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 02:58:11PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> > It just occurred to me:  By default, gcc is building 386-compatible
> > binaries with reasonably general optimization.  Does gcc know enough
> > to optimize well for PII or PIII processors?  Is doing this remotely
> > safe or supported?
>
> pkgsrc/devel/cpuflags.  :)

	Just to chime in on that :) - I've been using cpuflags to
	optimise kernel, userland, and all packages (up to kde3
	and openoffice) on an assortment of boxes including:

	K6-2/PII/PIII/sparc10/sparc5/sparc20/ultra1/shark/DEC 433au.

	The only problem I've seen is on NetBSD/sparc older compilers
	(NetBSD 1.4 and maybe 1.5) on compiling the kernel
	-march=supersparc on _some_ boxes. Of course the boxes are
	running perfectly with cpuflags under 1.6_BETA5 now, which
	makes tracking it down a little harder :)

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --