Subject: Re: New FFS Layout: Update or fresh install?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/06/2002 10:25:00
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, David Brownlee wrote:

# 	   In 1.5.2 and earlier the default FFS blocksize is 8K, and
# 	   fragments 16K.

Really??  Fragment sizes are larger than block sizes??

This should have some interesting results on my filesystems.

# 	c) Cylinders per group increased from 16 to the maximum permitted by
# 	   the disk geometry and blocksize. A smaller win, but makes better
# 	   use of the metadata and tends to reduce cylinder groups on big
# 	   disks from thousands to a hundred or so. Again, needs newfs.

I was *wondering* about this...

#
# 	This is in addition to the obvious softdep and other improvements,
# 	and in 1.6 UBC and other wins :)

Heh.  I was happy to see Chuq still whittling away at UBC, noting that it
still has a few small problems.  So often, I've seen an attitude (on other
projects) with new subsystems or whatnot that has been "Well, there it is.
It's not bug-ridden, that's the way it's meant to work.  Deal with it," even
when its performance is horrid.  UBC will likely be a work in progress for
quite some time...

# 	sysinst should have an obsolete list. Alternatively run a 'tar tf'
# 	for each of the install tarsets and compare with you installed
# 	files :)

The hardest part of an upgrade is ALWAYS updating /etc and remembering to
preserve /var/cron. :)

I note that hier(7) says:

	/altroot/	alternate root filesystem, in case of disaster

Funny.  I find myself using /altroot/ as a distribution point for an
upgrade (then boot from /altroot, and renaming the old root as /altroot).

...though, I suppose, that would constitute disaster recovery...

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: The Power of Code.