Subject: Re: Cable Modem and Firewall/IPNAT
To: Steve Bell <irix@mindspring.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/05/2002 10:19:11
On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:55:55AM -0400, Steve Bell wrote:

> Just looking for more information if possible. I am running into some
> problems with my cable modem, it's not picking up an IP from my service
> provider via DHCP. I have tried both empty/non exsiting and configured
> dhcp.conf files, but after running dhclient ex0  I get six attempts, and
> a final message saying that no DHCPOFFERS were received.  Any general
> tips about getting the modem to drop it's current lease, and actively
> look for a new one?

Have you tried power cycling the cable modem?  That usually does it for
my cable modem.

> Next, is it absolutely necessary to recompile the kernel on NetBSD 1.5.2
> for setting up ipfilter and ipnat?

ipfilter/ipnat are directly supported by the GENERIC kernel, so you just
need to create /etc/ipf.conf and /etc/ipnat.conf and set ipfilter=YES and
ipnat=YES in your /etc/rc.conf.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>