Subject: Re: Serial terminal cables
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Ernst du Toit <et@houseofet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/29/2002 20:31:23
You will need to 'manage' the link at the application level if you don't use DTR/DSR and CD. AFAIK, getty looks for DSR/CD activity before giving you a login prompt. You can safely discard CD and wire that to DSR for a terminal.

Another side effect of not having DTR/DSR and CD is that if you power cycle the 'terminal' or otherwise break and make the link there is no hardware signalling to tell the NetBSD host to terminate and spawn another login. From a user experience it means that they never logged out - however the data on the screen is lost so they have to have some method of forcing a redraw or they'll enter data at a unknown cursor position.

In my implentations I found it preferable to live with XON/XOFF and DTR than RTS/CTS and no link status control. But that would depend on the speeds that you are driving, XON/XOFF is still acceptable up to 38k4 baud.v

--et