Subject: Re: hardware RAID
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Adam Glass <adam@clarity.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/28/2002 16:54:11
Luke wrote:
> I've always powered down the box to replace drives, and just used
> the sleds as a convenient method of swapping drives (versus opening
> the case).

That's fine.  Even if that's all the hot-swap was useful for at
this point, that'd be fine.

> The 2400A is supported by the IOP driver.

Does Adaptec 2400A card provide true harware IDE RAID such that the
host computer (and iop driver) don't know that a drive has failed?
Does the iop driver handle any of the RAID work vis-a-vis disabling a
drive, switching to a hot spare, or rebuilding a replacement?  How do
you configure the 2400A's behavior?  Some sort of post-BIOS config
screen as exists with their SCSI cards?