Subject: Re: hardware RAID
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/27/2002 23:20:50
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> >Alternatively, the 3ware 7210 controller [3] has been highly
> >recommended... does NetBSD 1.5.x have drivers for it?
>
> I don't know if 1.5.x has it, but 1.6 does. RAID 5 is a dog [5X slower
> than the same raid on a dell/perc controller with u160 disks]...

Uh, on which controller? A quick dd test from the raw disks and to
a file on the filesystem of this configuration:

    2 x 2.2 GHz Xeon
    Supermicro P4DMS-6GM motherboard
    3Ware Escalade 7860 (in a 64-bit PCI-X slot)
    8 x IBM Deskstar 7200 RPM 60 GB drives
    RAID-5 across all eight disks.
    FreeBSD 4.6

gives me 140 MB/sec read and 60 MB/sec write (1 MB blocksize).

I think that that's better than I've ever seen from a Dell (admittedly
on much older hardware).

I'll do more tests when I get out of security upgrade hell.

cjs