Subject: Re: hardware RAID
To: Jason R Thorpe , Adam Glass <adam@clarity.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/27/2002 18:15:18
On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 12:41:13PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
  | On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 11:41:10AM -0700, Adam Glass wrote:
  |
  |  > Wow, lame.  What enables IDE hot-swap functionality?  The hot-swap
  |  > enclosures themselves, or are there any electrical signalling
  |  > differences on IDE RAID controllers to support hot-swap?
  |
  | The hot-swap is handled by the driver, as I understand it.  When you
  | swap a drive, the OS has to be told.  The OS then stops using the drive
  | and considers it "gone", you pull the old drive out using the sled (which
  | only provides a convenient mechanism to do this, nothing else special),
  | throw in the new sled, and then tell the OS "ok, new drive there, do your
  | thing with it".

I haven't done much with "hot" "hot-plug" with IDE RAID cards;
only one of my IDE drive sleds actually disconnects power to the
drive when you unlock the handle (the "lock" key switch does that),
and even that strikes me as a bit hokey.  I've always powered down
the box to replace drives, and just used the sleds as a convenient
method of swapping drives (versus opening the case).

I haven't yet found a "hot plug" carrier for IDE for a reasonable cost
that I would be comfortable in using as a hot plug.  3Ware have a 3
drive hot plug chassis, but the documentation is sparse on the
functionality of the "hot plug".

  |  > Is a driver for the Adaptec cards (1200A/2400A) supported in 1.5.x?  I
  |  > didn't see it mentioned on http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html,
  |  > but I don't know which chipset is on the Adaptec cards, just the card
  |  > model numbers.
  |
  | I *think* they are supported by the "iop" driver (I2O).  Luke Mewburn
  | (CC'd) has some experience with them, I believe, and might be able to
  | answer your questions about them better than I can.

The 2400A is supported by the IOP driver.

The 1200 is a different beast, and if I recall correctly, isn't supported
by NetBSD.

Luke.