Subject: Re: hardware RAID
To: Adam Glass <adam@clarity.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/2002 12:41:13
On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 11:41:10AM -0700, Adam Glass wrote:

 > Wow, lame.  What enables IDE hot-swap functionality?  The hot-swap
 > enclosures themselves, or are there any electrical signalling
 > differences on IDE RAID controllers to support hot-swap?

The hot-swap is handled by the driver, as I understand it.  When you
swap a drive, the OS has to be told.  The OS then stops using the drive
and considers it "gone", you pull the old drive out using the sled (which
only provides a convenient mechanism to do this, nothing else special),
throw in the new sled, and then tell the OS "ok, new drive there, do your
thing with it".

 > Is a driver for the Adaptec cards (1200A/2400A) supported in 1.5.x?  I
 > didn't see it mentioned on http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html,
 > but I don't know which chipset is on the Adaptec cards, just the card
 > model numbers.

I *think* they are supported by the "iop" driver (I2O).  Luke Mewburn
(CC'd) has some experience with them, I believe, and might be able to
answer your questions about them better than I can.