Subject: Power Management
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/22/2002 21:37:42
Hello!

I left my laptop crunching some numbers when I went upstairs
to potch about with a desktop machine.  Since I'd neglected
to plug to power cable in, the laptop's battery was
eventually exhausted.  I came back downstairs and saw that
all the lights were out on the laptop - and I frowned,
knowing that unix type machines generally dislike having
their plug pulled.

Imagine my delight when I plugged the power cable back in,
hit the power button and went straight back to the program
that I had left running!

A few thoughts spring to mind...

  1.  *Thank you* to whoever made suspend work in
      NetBSD/i386!!!

  2.  Would it work the same way with a desktop machine
      supported by a UPS?

  3.  Since I imagine APM is PC specific, does NetBSD
      have any platform independent power management
      support?

  4.  Aside from the source (which I'm wading through
      anyway, is there somewhere that I can learn more
      about this?

Appreciative regards,
  - Andy Ball