Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 Release Schedule
To: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/2002 19:02:28
On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 02:22:58AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> [...]
> Isn't the I/O queue processed in a way that limits heavy I/O processes
> to give better response time for infrequent I/O processes?  If it is,
> is this tunable?

Well, no, it's not unfortunably. It's a simple queue. Disksort will try
to keep the queue ordered by block numbers (to minimize seeks), which makes
things even worse: with a large sequential write to a to one partition,
an I/O for another one will always be put at the end of the queue (or at
last after the entries of the sequential writes), while newer entries for
the sequential write will be inserted before this I/O.