Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 Release Schedule
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/2002 00:30:03
> I have an everything box.  It's my SPARCstation 5/170.
>
> It handles mail, ftp, NFS, samba, AppleTalk, NAT, ssh.  And it's my
> CD burner.
>
> If I ever wanted to used it as a CD burner, I had to stop using it as
> a workstation while I was burning CDs.  To me, I guess, this is the
> nature of the beast.

AFAIK your machine isn't much slower than mine Pentium 133 (if not
faster). and has SCSI disk. and i never have to stop working while
recording CD on 6x speed with 1.5.2

now i have to :(

> Did you ever think you might be doing too much with your box to be able
> to burn CDs as well?  CD Recorders are somewhat picky about buffer
> underruns, for some strange reason :).

i recorded over 500 disks with my machine and NetBSD 1.5.2

in fact the only thing i forced myself not to do while recording was
things like untarring pkgsrc.

anything else worked fine, including making another CD image while writing
first, dd'ing image from CD drive and browsing WWW all in the same time.

and i made only one coaster. and not because of buffer underrun, but
because i accidentally hit my machine and got servo tracking error