Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 Release Schedule
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/2002 15:24:22
I have an everything box.  It's my SPARCstation 5/170.

It handles mail, ftp, NFS, samba, AppleTalk, NAT, ssh.  And it's my
CD burner.

If I ever wanted to used it as a CD burner, I had to stop using it as
a workstation while I was burning CDs.  To me, I guess, this is the
nature of the beast.

My workstation is a more speedy machine.  Both machines have narrow SCSI,
in addition to the i386 box supporting IDE.  When I got the x86 box, I was
thinking of moving the burner over to the i386 from the SPARCstation and
decided that since the SS5 isn't doing much except serving relatively
low-intensity requests (by comparison, I use the i386 for the load
equivalent of multimedia on occasion), it was better that the burner
stayed where it was.

I haven't burned a FIFO underrun coaster since then.

Did you ever think you might be doing too much with your box to be able
to burn CDs as well?  CD Recorders are somewhat picky about buffer
underruns, for some strange reason :).