Subject: Re: Terminal Server
To: None <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/15/2002 11:49:27
On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 12:46:53PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:10:59 +0300, "netbsd" <netbsd@purk.ee> wrote:
>
> > Is this possible to use NetBSD as Terminal Server like w2k?
> > Any link and help is welcome!
>
> Grumble.  grumble grumble.  Grumble!
>
> What?  For umptiump years we've had to listen while every X-poor vendor
> explained why shared logic, remote display systems were backward-looking
> dinosaurs, and now that Microsoft's second try at a closed method to
> partly imitate that feature has been incorporated into their base product,
> now people are wondering if X-based systems can do the same thing?
> Yikes-O-Rama!  Maybe Al Gore really *did* invent the Internet!
>
> I'll be alright.  Really.  Just a minute.  There.

No offense, but I have to disagree with you.  Saying that X is equivalent
to Windows Terminal Server is just plain wrong.  The correct comparison would
be with VNC.  The biggest (IMHO) advantage of WTS is that if you get dumped
on your dialup or some other event that causes your session to get disruped,
you can reconnect _exactly_ where you left off.  E.g. the application state
exists only on the WTS box.  This precisely how VNC works on Unix.

Suggesting that the X Window System's remote display capability is equivalent
is not appropriate, IMHO.  If your X Window Server loses contact with the
machine(s) running the X Window Clients, you're totally hosed.

I'm not saying the WTS model is better, just saying it is equivalent to VNC,
not X itself.

-Andrew