Subject: Re: your mail
To: Herman, Joe <Joe.Herman@trw.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/14/2002 18:36:19
On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:14:38AM -0700, Herman, Joe wrote:
  | I am trying to use a Rocketport PCI/422 card under NetBSD.  I found a
  | FreeBSD driver but not NetBSD.  How hard would it be to port the FreeBSD
  | driver to NetBSD?  (Or is there any other version of the driver that
  | would be a better starting point for the port?)

Generally it's not too difficult to port drivers between FreeBSD and
NetBSD, but I defer to the "driver porting gurus" for more information.

  | Are there are any other PCI/RS422 boards that do have drivers for NetBSD?

There's many that are supported by the `puc' driver.  For example, I
recently purchased a relatively cheap quad serial (+ 1 parallel) PCI
card which uses the NetMos 9845 chip (it was ~ A$ 150; you can
probably get them for ~ U$50 in the USA), and after a bit of tweaking,
I got it to work in my i386 and my alpha.

Luke.