Subject: Re: defaults for wscons(4)/wsdisplay(4)/wscons.conf/ttys
To: Robert Elz , , <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/09/2002 10:00:54
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2002/06/07/0012.html

Um, under XFree86 3.3.6, the startx behavior that I see is:

 Take an unused virtual console if any (my first X comes up on
 console 4, numbered from 0).

 If there's no unused console, appear on the one where you typed
 ``startx''.

 If I'm on an X server console when I startx (``startx -- :2.0'' say),
 the attempt fails.  (There's no place for it go, apparently.)

Since my normal use is 1 X server for my main activity, plus 3 open
consoles waiting for login (from which I can login as a sandbox account
and start a new X server if desired), this is adequate.

(Actually, I just tried the 3rd case above.  It failed as I said, but when
I switched to the console holding the second, active X server, I got some
weird results.  The mouse worked, but apparently the keyboard was attached
to login once more; hitting return caused the graphic display to
scroll/wrap to the side.  Eventually the whole system locked up and I had
to toggle the power.  Eek.  This was a 1.5.2 system with XFree86 3.3.6.)