Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6
To: cube <netbsd-port-i386@quatriemek.com>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/02/2002 02:56:55
Quoting cube <netbsd-port-i386@quatriemek.com>:

> Le Sun, 2 Jun 2002 01:29:10 -0500
> trunks@endersgame.net a écrit :
> > I'm trying to set myself up a little email server, and I thought I'd
> > grab 1.6.  It's an old Pentium 60mhz hunk o' junk.  The problem
> > lies in the network.  I'm running an NE2000 ISA (ne* driver), and I
> > found the problem that I'm having listed on the NetBSD i386 FAQ.
> > Unfortunately, I can't seem to fix it by following the directions given.
>
> Did you find a utility (usually they run under DOS) to configure the
> settings of your card ?
>
> >  I'd like to just make a new kernel and do it that way and stuff, but I
> > don't know how to do it using the boot floppies that I grabbed from
> > the ftp.  Anybody got ideas?
>
> What you have to grab is the syssrc.tgz matching your system version.
>
>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/20020530-1.6_BETA1-XFree86-4.2.0/source/sets/syssrc.tgz
> is probably what you are looking for.
>
> It is about 17 MB. Then you will be able to tune your kernel, removing all
> the useless stuff (like USB code) for your computer.

This ends up being a real chicken/egg problem.  We aren't really sure which
problems he's having, so I (for example) can't offer to make him a kernel that
will work with his hardware.  It may even be easier than that - without more
information, it's really hard to say.  CHances are, one of the kernels from the
FTP site would work fine for what he's trying to do.

To save yourself a lot of aggravation later, I'd suggest dumping the NE2000 card
for almost anything else.  They were OK 10 years ago, but there are LOTS of
better alternatives in the free - $10 range.

Dave
--
Dave Burgess
Chief Technology Officer