Subject: Re: double summertime :-(
To: None <muc-lists-netbsd-port-i386@moderators.muc.de>
From: Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/24/2002 17:32:12
David Laight wrote:

> Booting win98 it came up with its 'the system has detected
> the start of daylight saving, has has changed the system clock'.
> (Dunno why it can't run on UTC like everything else :-(  )
>
> Anyway, next time I boot netBSD I find the clock has advanced
> an extra hour :-(

> Anyone know any idea why this code is still broken
> after so many years?

Because Windows is still broken. It thinks it has to maintain the system.
It assumes it is allowed to touch and change everything. There's is no
fsck'ing need to alter the physical RTC. NetBSD will detect the start of
daylight saving and add the extra hour when reporting the time. AFAIK
there's a setting (probably very hidden) for Windows to ignore daylight
savings. If you don't use it seriously, this should be the right solution.
You're free to modify the NetBSD sources, but IMO something else has to be
patched.