Subject: Re: double summertime :-(
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/24/2002 18:52:35
On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 04:23:00PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > Anyway, next time I boot netBSD I find the clock has advanced
> > an extra hour :-(
>
> Because before it was reading the hardware clock as UTC, and printing UTC+1.
> Now that Windoze has fiddled, NetBSD reads UTC+1, thinks it is still UTC,
> and prints (UTC+1)+1.

Yes - I know WHAT is happening,

> > It looks to me as though the code in sys/isa/clock.c should be
> > looking at the contents of MC_REGB (in this case the MC_REGB_DSE
> > flag) when setting the time.
> >
> > Futhermore I'm not sure that rtcinit() should blindly be
> > setting MC_REGB to MV_REGB_24HR.  I think this will cause
> > Win98 to advance the clock yet again.
> > (I need to do that soon.....)
> >
> > Anyone know any idea why this code is still broken
> > after so many years?
>
> The fix is:
>
> options     RTC_OFFSET=0    # hardware clock is this many mins. west of GMT

No it isn't!
That is already set.
Changing RTC_OFFSET would require a summer kernel and a winter kernel!
But I suspect that everytime I load win98 it will advance the clock
another hour!

Actually I think the RTC isn't set until after some filestore has been found
(there is a sanity check ensuring that the time hasn't moved by more than
5 years) so maybe the offset could be in filestore?

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk