Subject: Re: virtual console
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Ernst du Toit <et@houseofet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/13/2002 02:36:55
Well, I might be wrong, but it looks like the average newbie to NetBSD is already UNIX literate, Linux literate I might add, and need a more of a cross map to show how things are done 'right' in NetBSD ;) Anyone with a more formal UNIX background is used to RTFM first before asking.

The thing that would throw an ex-Linux user would range from simple things like the virtual terminal switching to the BSD way of doing disk partitions. The Disk Partition Docs for i386 is really good, I refer to it often when working on a hybrid install.

I'm not familiar with Linux - used it last in 1994(!), for me best shot would be to look at the list (i386 for now, since I know it best) and see what trips newbies up.

On the other hand the responses from the NetBSD crowd in general is so good and prompt, it's might be a better PR proposition to let the newbies announce themselves on the list. Nothing makes one feel at home with NetBSD better than knowing your not alone :)

--et