Subject: Yet another i386 snapshot available
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/10/2002 21:04:37
	Hello,

I've created a third NetBSD-current snapshot based on sources from the
10th of April. It includes kernel sources and XFree86 *4.2.0* binaries.
You can find it under this URL:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/20020410-1.5ZC-XFree86-4.2.0/

It includes complete X11 sets and Luke Mewburn's fix for the problem with
"installboot". I know that the userland works and that the "GENERIC"
kernel boots on my hardware, anything else is untested due to lack of
time and hardware on my side.

Because I got a complaint about the problems with the last snapshot
I probably should clarify some things:

I'm sorry that there was a problem with the installation floppy of the
last snapshot. But using NetBSD-current is about testing and this
broken snapshot helped the NetBSD project to recognize and fix the
problem with "installboot".

NetBSD-current is a "bleeding edge" development version which of
course has bugs. Because most developers (like me) are volunteers our
resources e.g. time and hardware are limited we cannot perform things
like extensive regression tests for such things as snapshot - we try
of course to do this for releases - to catch such bugs. That's were we
need the help of you, our great user community. Many people run
NetBSD-current and help us to find and fix a lot of bugs. That's how
open source projects are supposed to work in my opinion.

The disadvantage of this method is of course that NetBSD-current might
sometimes cause problems for our users. That's why my advise is to use
NetBSD-current with a bit care:

a) If the last NetBSD release works fine on your production system don't
   update to NetBSD-current. Instead run NetBSD-current on a less
   important system if you want to try new features.

b) If you want or have to use NetBSD-current on a production server (e.g.
   because of support for some new hardware) test the things you want to
   use first. This avoids unexpected failures in situation where you cannot
   afford them.

[My personal setup e.g. is to run the last NetBSD release on my server and
 NetBSD-current on my workstation. This helps me to find bugs and allows
 me to play with new features but keeps my girlfriend happy because the
 mail and proxy server is reliable.]

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/